(248) 356-0600 



Michigan Divorce Attorney Jannelle Zawaideh

Call 248-356-0600 for a FREE Consultation Today!

our-services-button.png   free-call-now-button.png

Flat Fee Guarantee

Flat Fee Guarantee. While most attorneys charge by the hour and your costs are unknown, we have a Flat Fee Guarantee. Get more info

Free Consultation

Schedule your FREE consultation. We offer a no obligation FREE Consultation.

 Click to Schedule

Payment Plans

We offer payment plans to meet your financial needs. Find a plan

visa-curved-32px.png mastercard-curved-32px.png

Our Services

Child Custody

Michigan child custody cases can be stressful for both parties involved in the dispute, as well as... Read More


Paternity can become a contentious subject for some people. Whether you're involved in a divorce case where paternity has become a question... Read More

Alimony Spousal Support

Spousal support and alimony isn't paid in as many cases as it used to be, because more households have two incomes anymore... Read More

Property Division

When you divorce in Michigan, one of the issues you'll have to address is property division. Assuming you don't have a prenuptial agreement that addresses how the assets... Read More

Child Support Frequently Asked Questions

Who pays child support when parents share custody? 

When the parents share custody, one party still has to pay support. This would be the parent who spends the least amount of time with the children, and/or who makes the most money. There are rare cases when parents spend exactly the same number of days per year with their children and have identical incomes. In those cases, parents may not have to pay any child support.

How is child support determined? 

Child support is determined based on the income of the parents and how much time each parent spends with the children. Parents who are more equal in those areas will see less support being paid, while parents with a much more unequal distribution will see larger support payments. Support is paid to the parent who spends the most time with the children, by the parent who makes the most money. In the majority of cases, the mother has custody and the father pays child support, but this is not always true and your situation may be different.

Can child support be changed? 

The amount of child support paid can be changed, and either raised or lowered. If the parent who does not pay support starts making substantially more money, the amount the other parent has to pay in support may be lowered. Conversely, parents who pay very little support may suddenly find that they have to pay more because they began to make more money. Either parent can go to court and ask to have the child support obligation changed, but there must be a valid and documented reason for the change. It cannot be adjusted just because one party wants more money or doesn't want to pay support.

How long will child support last? 

In Michigan, child support lasts until the child turns 18. If the child isn't out of high school by that time, the support will continue until graduation or until 19.5 years of age. Children who have not graduated by that age, or who have dropped out, aren't part of the child support obligation. Child support also doesn't pay for college. For both parents to be required to contribute to a college education for the child, a separate agreement would be necessary. Parents can also contribute in the absence of an agreement, but would not be required to do so.

Does child support count as taxable income? 

Child support is not taxable. If you're receiving child support you do not need to report it as taxable income. Conversely, the parent who is being required to pay the child support cannot deduct the payments from his or her income and get a tax break on them. That keeps everything fair for both parties. The reason the support is not taxable income is that it is not, technically, income for the parent. It is money solely to support the child.

More child support F.A.Q. 

Contact Us Today! We can provide you a free consultaion. 

(248) 356-0600


Representing divorce and family law clients in

Oakland, Wayne, Livingston, Washtenaw and Macomb Counties!



Filing for divorce is absolutely never easy. Even if you have made the decision that you need to fil… Read More

One of the biggest concerns many parents have when considering divorce is what will happen to their … Read More



26677 W. 12 mile Rd. Ste 171
Southfield, MI 48034


Phone (248) 356.0600


twitter.png  facebook.png  google.png

© 2014, The Law Offices Of Jannelle J. Zawaideh, All rights reserved.